Noob Tries to Make a Pii U (Wii U Retropie Gamepad)

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
BlueWeaselBreath

Re: Noob Tries to Make a Pii U (Wii U Retropie Gamepad)

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:23 am

Thanks, IrieMars! I have the HDMI cable listed as part #13 up there, but I don’t have a photo because I haven’t bought mine yet — because I’m not sure how long a cable to get. I see a lot that look longer than I need. I don’t want to get one too short, what length would you recommend? Also, it looks like you purchased a mini-USB port connector in addition to the regular USB-A connectors, so you could wire it to the Pi and plug your Teensy in? If so, I completely missed this part both in your build and in Banjokazooie’s and will have to go back and add it to my list here.

EDIT: I accidentally said “micro-USB” in my first version of this post.

DeathMegatron69

Post by DeathMegatron69 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Best of luck dude. Your posts so far are absolutely wonderful and honestly pretty professional.

sicurri

Post by sicurri » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:48 am

I have no idea why you call yourself a noob, you must have either OCD or a very meticulous job because your posts for this project are detailed and very thorough.

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Cheers, all! This is my first ever electronics project. I hope maybe somebody else who is also a noob can follow along once I’m all done, hence the level of detail. I am encountering difficulty, however, figuring out how to incorporate a battery status indicator. I have inquired on another thread but no response yet — if anyone can help, please let me know!

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6489

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:02 am

Look into using an ads1015

BlueWeaselBreath

Shaving Down the Gamepad Interior

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:22 am

Ok, now it’s time to make some space inside the gamepad shell by shaving down the unnecessary plastic inside the back part of shell. Grab your rotary tool and grind down the parts indicated below. Again, thanks to IrieMars for the inspiration for this diagram; mine is very similar to the one posted on IrieMars’s thread.

You’ll be getting rid of the following pieces: six screw posts (three on each side), the big battery compartment in the middle (just grind through around the edges and the whole grid part will come right out), the stuff under the rumble assembly (above the battery compartment), and the five supports (two on the left, three on the right — two of the ones in the right are hidden in the picture, underneath the stylus holder).

When you’re done, it’ll look something like the above picture. It looks pretty rough, but if you’re a perfectionist, you can make it nice and smooth if you want; I just didn’t see the need. You’ll see the part under where the rumble assembly was isn’t fully shaved down. I may have done so if I’d had a narrower rotary bit that can get in that little narrow area, but I’m not sure if doing so would save that much space, so I didn’t worry too much about it.