Pi 3 Gameboy w/ HDMI Screen AND HDMI Output?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
isaakrydel

Pi 3 Gameboy w/ HDMI Screen AND HDMI Output?

Post by isaakrydel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently made my first GBZ and I had a lot of fun with it. It's my next project to make a Raspberry Pi 3 Gameboy. I want to use an HDMI 1080p display in this gameboy. I'd also really like to have an HDMI output so I can connect the gameboy to my TV. Is this possible? If so, any ideas on how I could do it?

Ideally, I'd like to keep the USB and Ethernet ports on the Pi3. I've seen several builds doing this, so I know its possible even with an HDMI screen. I just don't know how possible it is to have an HDMI output with an HDMI screen already connected to the PI. If HDMI output is impossible, I wouldn't mind having a composite output instead. Is that possible?

This project (https://www.mattvsmachine.com/blog/2017 ... oy-project) caught my eye. It's very similar to what I want my gameboy to look like. But I'd like to have 4 buttons, 2 PSP analog sticks, and an HDMI output if possible.
static1.squarespace.jpg
static1.squarespace.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 297 times
I've ordered a case and precut most things (except the screen). I have an idea of the parts I'd like to use, but if I need to use something different let me know. These are the parts I was going to use:

- Raspberry Pi 3 B+
- tinkerBOY v2.2 board (this supports 2 analog sticks)
- Adafruit Powerboost 1000c w/2500mah battery
- 2 PSP joysticks, 4 back buttons, ABYX buttons,
- Kedei v1.1 HDMI screen (i see it used a lot in pi3 builds)
IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1891.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 297 times
Will these parts work together? I see no problem with it, but let me know if there's anything I should be aware of when using these parts, let me know.

Sorry for all the questions and information. Thanks in advanced to anyone who gives me any information.