Checking in progress on 1 disk

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Post Reply
tedmo
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello,

When I boot up my pi, it goes through a rather lengthy process that reads "Checking in progress on 1 disk" and goes from 0% to 100%. The task can take around 45 seconds to a minute and happens each time I boot. I have looked online and only found information that goes a bit above my head (and not even that much info to begin with). From what I can tell, it has to do with resetting the pi incorrectly or a time issue, but I am unable to fix it.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of retropie several times and it persists.

User avatar
rodocop
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Location: Saskatchewan
Has thanked: 481 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by rodocop » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I've noticed that on retropie v 4.4. I have not looked into a fix. So I just use v 4.3.
_____________________________________________________
My Minty Pi builds four so far:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3628
My GBZ builds, fourteen and counting:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 813#p50813
My four modded DMG-01's:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2696
My NESpi:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2941
My Gaboze Pocaio's
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6063

codeman0624
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by codeman0624 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

tedmo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 pm
Hello,

When I boot up my pi, it goes through a rather lengthy process that reads "Checking in progress on 1 disk" and goes from 0% to 100%. The task can take around 45 seconds to a minute and happens each time I boot. I have looked online and only found information that goes a bit above my head (and not even that much info to begin with). From what I can tell, it has to do with resetting the pi incorrectly or a time issue, but I am unable to fix it.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of retropie several times and it persists.
I had the same issue. If you add "fsck.mode=skip" to /boot/cmdline.txt it will skip that check on boot

tedmo
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response, but that doesn't seem to stop it from checking.

codeman0624
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by codeman0624 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:55 pm

tedmo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm
Thanks for the quick response, but that doesn't seem to stop it from checking.
Check the rest of the cmdline.txt file and make sure there's no other mention of fsck.mode

tedmo
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm

There is a reference to fsck.repair=yes.

tedmo
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by tedmo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I just went with Rodocop's suggestion and bumped it back down to 4.3. It seemed like the Safe Shutdown wasn't working with 4.4 either.

GunZi
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by GunZi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 am

I'm on retropie 4.4 and here's how I managed to do it:

Go to file manager and open folder /etc, from there you can find two files. One is ".fstab" and another is simply "fstab" without the dot. They both contain 3 lines of code. I edited (Press F4) both files so that the last two digits in each line is 0 0. That worked for me.

To save you simply press Ctrl+x -> Y -> Enter, then type

Code: Select all

 sudo reboot
to restart the system.

As I understand it, this disables something called "fsck" which is responsible for checking the disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck Whether this is a clean solution I can't answer, is seems to work and thats good enough for me... until I notice something... If I encounter problems I will come back and comment :)

Edit: Since you are on retropie 4.3 would you mind checking if the last two digits in these "fstab" files are 0 0? Just wondering why the problem is solved by downgrading to 4.3

User avatar
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am
Location: Fall River, MA
Has thanked: 1121 times
Been thanked: 2754 times

Re: Checking in progress on 1 disk

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 am

GunZi wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 am
I'm on retropie 4.4 and here's how I managed to do it:

Go to file manager and open folder /etc, from there you can find two files. One is ".fstab" and another is simply "fstab" without the dot. They both contain 3 lines of code. I edited (Press F4) both files so that the last two digits in each line is 0 0. That worked for me.

To save you simply press Ctrl+x -> Y -> Enter, then type

Code: Select all

 sudo reboot
to restart the system.

As I understand it, this disables something called "fsck" which is responsible for checking the disk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck Whether this is a clean solution I can't answer, is seems to work and thats good enough for me... until I notice something... If I encounter problems I will come back and comment :)

Edit: Since you are on retropie 4.3 would you mind checking if the last two digits in these "fstab" files are 0 0? Just wondering why the problem is solved by downgrading to 4.3
I use this same method and it works well, you can also use nano on the terminal to edit the file as well.
My Sale Threads:
Blank and Audio Controller PCBs
All in One Pre-Orders
mintyPi PCB Kits


Chat with me and other members

All in One Support Thread


Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). Don't contact me about any of my boards if they are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them.


Don't support thieves like ckliang who copied my AIO to resell and is now cloning the mintyPi, support the original creators and not the thieves!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest