Custom Buy List!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
User avatar
dvanw6
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Contact:

Custom Buy List!

Post by dvanw6 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am

Hi, I'm Dvan and I'm new to the sudomod community and I want to make a GBZ using custom parts, so I've been doing a lot of research into it and I think I've made a really good buy list, but I'd very much like it for someone to go over it just incase I've missed anything or added anything that shouldn't be there, or even to swap something out for something better. I want to make sure to have a good scope of what my budget should be and what I should get.
To add I am Australian so most of these prices I've written down should be in AUD

Total = $374.60 AUD
Last edited by dvanw6 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am
Location: Fall River, MA
Has thanked: 1269 times
Been thanked: 2944 times

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by Helder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 am

You could get my Retro PSU and knock out 2 of the items on your list, the Powerboost and ADS1015.
My Sale Threads:

Retro PSU, 3.5A output!


Chat with me and other members


Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). Don't contact me about any of my boards if they are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them.


Don't support thieves like ckliang who copied my AIO to resell and is now cloning the mintyPi, support the original creators and not the thieves!

User avatar
dvanw6
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by dvanw6 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 am

Helder wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 am
You could get my Retro PSU and knock out 2 of the items on your list, the Powerboost and ADS1015.
Wow thats actually a really good idea and saves me some money as well. Thanks! Ill add it to the list!

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 782 times

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am

dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 am
Helder wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 am
You could get my Retro PSU and knock out 2 of the items on your list, the Powerboost and ADS1015.
Wow thats actually a really good idea and saves me some money as well. Thanks! Ill add it to the list!

you can also just get a standard Common Ground PCB...
eliminating the need for TinkerBoy V3.0....
(TinkerBoy board is good, but if you have Retro PSU there's better options for it to be paired with)


something like this....

https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/product/game- ... oy-zero-3/
https://galaxygaming.co.uk/shop/gameboy ... cb-sample/


With a Common Ground PCB paired with Helder Retro PSU....
you can have the controls via the GPIO and also add a Analog stick (all through Helder Retro PSU)

This will save you a lot, and also save on power consumption....


Also
if you want to have a composite screen...
scrap the Amazon (pot luck) purchase....

this screen is tried and tested, and also works straight out of the box...
(not need to start wondering or posting what modification is required to it for it to work on 5V)

https://www.gearbest.com/development-bo ... id=1433363




.

User avatar
dvanw6
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by dvanw6 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am
dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 am
Helder wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 am
You could get my Retro PSU and knock out 2 of the items on your list, the Powerboost and ADS1015.
Wow thats actually a really good idea and saves me some money as well. Thanks! Ill add it to the list!

you can also just get a standard Common Ground PCB...
eliminating the need for TinkerBoy V3.0....
(TinkerBoy board is good, but if you have Retro PSU there's better options for it to be paired with)


something like this....

https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/product/game- ... oy-zero-3/
https://galaxygaming.co.uk/shop/gameboy ... cb-sample/


With a Common Ground PCB paired with Helder Retro PSU....
you can have the controls via the GPIO and also add a Analog stick (all through Helder Retro PSU)

This will save you a lot, and also save on power consumption....


Also
if you want to have a composite screen...
scrap the Amazon (pot luck) purchase....

this screen is tried and tested, and also works straight out of the box...
(not need to start wondering or posting what modification is required to it for it to work on 5V)

https://www.gearbest.com/development-bo ... id=1433363




.
The main reason im going with the Tinkerboy PCB is because it saves me from having to get a lot more extra parts and having to mess more with the audio and usb side of things. I am still very inexperienced with this, and spending a bit extra to make things a bit easier I find is worth the price. I do agree with the screen side of things, Ill do that instead. I was recommended to get hdmi one but I have no idea where to find a cheap one or how to rig it up

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 782 times

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 am

dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 am
The main reason im going with the Tinkerboy PCB is because it saves me from having to get a lot more extra parts and having to mess more with the audio and usb side of things. I am still very inexperienced with this, and spending a bit extra to make things a bit easier I find is worth the price. I do agree with the screen side of things, Ill do that instead. I was recommended to get hdmi one but I have no idea where to find a cheap one or how to rig it up

Tinkerboy V3 PCB is good....

but if you have Helder Retro PSU....
its kind of a no brainer to do GPIO controls (with the option to add a analog stick)....
(its only a case of wiring/soldering up from one point to another)

especially as you wont be able to use most (if not all) of the other functions it offers....

On-Screen-Display.jpg
On-Screen-Display.jpg (175.2 KiB) Viewed 171 times

the audio options available for these type of builds are also fairly straight forward to install and setup...
(and fairly cheap to get all the parts required, about $10)

PWM Audio + Amp
USB Sound Card + Amp
I2S Audio (not 100% if that will work with the Retro PSU)


but if your unsure, just go with Tinkerboy PCB....


If your unsure about the audio....
then the HDMI screen, is definitely not an option for you.....

its the hardest screen to put into these builds (with the exception of the 640x320 PD035VX2)...
the screen requires modification
the case/shell requires modification
and if you want to do the power saving mod
the board will also require modification


at the end of the day its your build...
go with what makes you feel the most comfortable (and suits your budget)

whichever way you go...
Good Luck
and don't hesitate to ask if your unsure of anything (no matter how simple you might think it is)




.

Effin Enjeffin
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by Effin Enjeffin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm

dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am
Doesn't the "Gameboy Zero Classic Red DMG Buttons Shell Kit " already come with a "Black Glass lens" (according to webpage)?

You could always try modifying a cheap shell yourself first. Even if you make a mess of it you're only down ~$9AU

User avatar
dvanw6
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by dvanw6 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Effin Enjeffin wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm
dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am
Doesn't the "Gameboy Zero Classic Red DMG Buttons Shell Kit " already come with a "Black Glass lens" (according to webpage)?

You could always try modifying a cheap shell yourself first. Even if you make a mess of it you're only down ~$9AU
I really dont feel that comfortable modding a case, and if I really wanted to save money I would of just 3d printed a case, but I want a real professional look to it. Also I don't have a dremmel so I actually cant, and yeah they have a black class lens, but the one I'm looking at is more customized and is gorilla glass. I am a man of style, and I want the gameboy to have full style.

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 782 times

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 am

dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 pm
I am a man of style, and I want the gameboy to have full style.
:lol:


if your a "man of style"....
I would suggest, just scraping this whole idea (especially as you don't even have a rotary tool).....

and just wait a few weeks and the next batch of Kite Circuit Swords will start to be delivered to the pre-orderers...

just from the several previous pre-orders
the are gonna be a lot of people that orders these months ago, but will now put them up For Sale...
either because they've
Lost interest....
Have more important things to get on with (or dont have the time)....
would like to release the money tied up in it (maybe a bit of buyers remorse)


what ever you intend to build...
is gonna cost about the same, if not more as your getting somethings that can be done a lot cheaper
and more importantly
isnt gonna have the functionally or performance
as one of Kite Circuit Swords
(and as the case your getting is ones that's been butcher (IMHO)... IMHO that's not style)



The CSO has better....
Screen
Performance (Pi3 capabilities)
Functions (Safe Shutdown, Battery monitor, HDMI out.... just to name a few)

and its a complete AIO
(can be put in a Clear Case for that extra "Style")


just throwing it out there....
but if I was a "man of style", I'd know what I'd go for.....





.

User avatar
dvanw6
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Custom Buy List!

Post by dvanw6 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:55 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 am
dvanw6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 pm
I am a man of style, and I want the gameboy to have full style.
:lol:


if your a "man of style"....
I would suggest, just scraping this whole idea (especially as you don't even have a rotary tool).....

and just wait a few weeks and the next batch of Kite Circuit Swords will start to be delivered to the pre-orderers...

just from the several previous pre-orders
the are gonna be a lot of people that orders these months ago, but will now put them up For Sale...
either because they've
Lost interest....
Have more important things to get on with (or dont have the time)....
would like to release the money tied up in it (maybe a bit of buyers remorse)


what ever you intend to build...
is gonna cost about the same, if not more as your getting somethings that can be done a lot cheaper
and more importantly
isnt gonna have the functionally or performance
as one of Kite Circuit Swords
(and as the case your getting is ones that's been butcher (IMHO)... IMHO that's not style)



The CSO has better....
Screen
Performance (Pi3 capabilities)
Functions (Safe Shutdown, Battery monitor, HDMI out.... just to name a few)

and its a complete AIO
(can be put in a Clear Case for that extra "Style")


just throwing it out there....
but if I was a "man of style", I'd know what I'd go for.....





.
Huh well this circuit board would actually look really good with a clear case, I'll keep an eye out, and when I made my style comment I'm just meaning I like to make things look good and I really want this to have a professional look, especially since my career is design.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests