v3 Display Not Working

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
BlueFrogSK

v3 Display Not Working

Post by BlueFrogSK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Received my kit yesterday and started building last night following along with the build video. Unfortunately, the screen is not turning on when I boot the mintypi. I see the LED on the RPi flashing and I get sound from the speaker. But no white screen or logos as shown in the build video. I've checked continuity from the test pads on the back of the display to the pads on the RPi and they are good. I'm getting 3V and have a good ground on those test pads at the back of the display. I also checked for bridged pads on the RPi from soldering and didn't find any. Here's a picture of the solder connections.
IMG_6310.jpeg
IMG_6310.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 131 times
Any troubleshooting tips on what to check next?

LilTrublMakr

Re: v3 Display Not Working

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:12 am

Unfortunately, the PCB fab messed up the screen production bad and a lot of the units are either not displaying or have a dark spot on the screen.

The good news: you can fix it! Helder has an instagram post that tells you how here:https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4pEUrF3C5/

Basically, you need to seperate the screen from the board and reflow the pins on the ribbon cable with flux. If it doesn't work with a reflow, try adding some new solder. One of mine took a few tries to get it to work.

BlueFrogSK

Post by BlueFrogSK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks. I opened the screen and inspected each connection and reflowed them according to the video but still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 am

It took me a few tries to get the reflow right. I have done similar work before but this was a little more difficult for some reason. Use plenty of flux and add a touch of solder if needed.

I had a white screen then it went black. I noticed when I turned my shop and bench lights off the screen had a faint flicker and glow but looked dark under all the light. There was a connection on the GPIO that wasn’t quite good enough.

BlueFrogSK

Post by BlueFrogSK » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 pm

3rd time was the charm. Flowed them all again and it started working. I used plenty of flux and made sure to go slow to really get it to flow.