Gameboy pocket zero pcb

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Lucypoos

Gameboy pocket zero pcb

Post by Lucypoos » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:44 am

Hi guys
I’m quite new to this, and I was thinking of making a gbz but I’d really like to make one inside a gameboy pocket as I have a lot of original pocket shells lying around. Does anyone know if there’s any way to use the pockets pcb and modify it so it can be used for just the button contacts and maybe the headphone/speaker? Buying a pcb specifically for the gbz is quite pricey and I’ve only really found one option.
Let me know your thoughts! :D

rodocop

Re: Gameboy pocket zero pcb

Post by rodocop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

of course you could harvest an original pocket PCB, but you could also look into the gaboze pocaio or pocket pi FE, both are meant specifically for the pocket.

In the case of the gaboze, you can easily get some boards fabbed up yourself, and buy the components for pretty cheap too.

you can find the BOM and Gerbers here for the gaboze round 2,

https://github.com/32teeth/GabozePocaio-Round2

You can also look at the round one variants and order one of those boards, the two part one's are nice.

https://github.com/32teeth/GabozePocaio-Round1
Last edited by rodocop on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:24 pm

if you want to reuse the original board and headphone socket you could, you would just need to cut it down to size, wire each button individually, and wire the existing headphone socket to whatever amp you are using (not sure if you could use the original?). I just got rid of my last gaboze board not to long ago, otherwise I would have given it away.

Lucypoos

Post by Lucypoos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:06 am

Thanks so much for your help! This is exactly what I was looking for! :D