alien0matics build or a newbie learning soldering

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Fleder

Re: alien0matics build or a newbie learning soldering

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 am

Tamasco wrote:
alien0matic wrote:
Tamasco wrote:Could you please tell me how did you setup it to pi0? I could try to see if stills works, not to much confident any way.
Power to the red and black cables, connect the "TV" pin from the rpi0 to the yellow wire. This way my current screen powers on, but with the bad one I had to run the GND pin (right next to the TV pin) to GND of the screen. I don't have any pics on how I did it.
Like this? It what @Fleder advised me:

Yes, but it's either or on those TV Wires. Either Yellow or White, not both!
Also i would refrain from taking power directly from the input of your pi zero (as seen on the second picture).
Either get it from your distribution board from the PowerBoost or from the pi zeros 5v gpio pin.
This pin is meant to supply the Pi with power, not other stuff.

The second black wire is unnecessary (second picture again).

For testing just wire red to the red circle and black to the black one. Then test white or yellow, whichever gives you video output.
For the final wiring, you want to get your power and GND directly from the PowerBoost or the distribution board, not the pi itself.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:49 am

Mid air collision with Fleders better explanation.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 am

Fun build to read. Good job mate, looks great.

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:03 am

Screws behind the cartridge is a great idea. Looks like it gives you a little bit more space :mrgreen:

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:45 am

After playing "The Legend of Zelda" yesterday and loosing all my progress to the system crashing because of low battery, I think I'm going to add [mention]popcorn[/mention]s low battery warning. I skipped the full graceful shutdown because it wouldn't completely shut off the PowerBoost, but I did add the LED to GPIO part. Just have to figure out his code to only read the red LED and not trying to shut down anything.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:56 am

alien0matic wrote:After playing "The Legend of Zelda" yesterday and loosing all my progress to the system crashing because of low battery, I think I'm going to add [mention]popcorn[/mention]s low battery warning. I skipped the full graceful shutdown because it wouldn't completely shut off the PowerBoost, but I did add the LED to GPIO part. Just have to figure out his code to only read the red LED and not trying to shut down anything.
You can add another SPST Switch (above 2A) to cut the connection from Battery to PowerBoost or whatever you wire it to.
This way you completely and physically cut the connection and no power is drained.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:59 am

I know, but where do I put it. I thought about the battery bay. But I know that I'm going to open it every time and switch the power on and off. This way the battery door won't hold long. So far everyone asked me on how to shot down the Game Boy, I think it's ok the way it is. At least for now ;)

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:53 am

alien0matic wrote:I know, but where do I put it. I thought about the battery bay. But I know that I'm going to open it every time and switch the power on and off. This way the battery door won't hold long. So far everyone asked me on how to shot down the Game Boy, I think it's ok the way it is. At least for now ;)
Put it inside the battery compartment, or in the small space between it and the case and make it accessible from the outside by cutting a small hole or something like that. Or any other place like the bottom. Where ever you have space left.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Seems like I did something wrong with the low battery part. When the red LED is on the screen shuts on and off, so does the sound...