SidSilver's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
joe7dust

Re: SidSilver's GBZ

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:08 am

SidSilver wrote:
joe7dust wrote:
SidSilver wrote: I've just read the wiki :)
It just shows a picture of the cable soldered on and gives this post as a reference so I thought it was your original hack.
Actually, I added a ref to my project because it uses the same screen. But if you look carrefully, you'll see that the color of the wire is not the same ;) I've used a red wire, in the wiki its yellow.

To mod those boards, you need electronics knowledge and analysis of the board design to figure out how it works.

I think there is a chip to make 12V to 5V, so if you put 5V , you should bypass the chip. That's my understanding.

And apparently I am not so good at soldering. http://imgur.com/8L283v3

I think a better tip might help. I had plenty of heat on most of my tip but the finest point doesn't get hot enough for fine pins like this so I basically just scrapped a glob off the side with the wire and stuck it on lol...

Were any of your ribbon cable connector's pins fused together? If not I might have just trashed $30 and a week's wait on shipping. I wasn't working anywhere near them but it looks like a jet of hot air from my butane soldering iron may have hit it.

This definitely doesn't look good. http://imgur.com/kfG7G2N

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:37 am

joe7dust wrote:I basically just scrapped a glob off the side with the wire and stuck it on lol...
Just be aware that cold solder joint can easily break. If you can melt it and let it cool again it should be fine.

If you run your iron along those pins that have become soldered together, the reflow should be enough to settle the solder back to where it should be. Just don't linger for long.

rsmios

Post by rsmios » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi,
is it possible to controle the backlight from the display and when yes, how ? I have ordered the same tft and want to make it dimmable.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:30 pm

Camble wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I basically just scrapped a glob off the side with the wire and stuck it on lol...
Just be aware that cold solder joint can easily break. If you can melt it and let it cool again it should be fine.

If you run your iron along those pins that have become soldered together, the reflow should be enough to settle the solder back to where it should be. Just don't linger for long.
I dont see how that's even possible wouldn't more heat just make it worse? I have a hot air blowing option on this butane soldering iron maybe that would be better to use?

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 pm

joe7dust wrote:
Camble wrote:

I dont see how that's even possible wouldn't more heat just make it worse? I have a hot air blowing option on this butane soldering iron maybe that would be better to use?
Because liquid solder has surface tension, it naturally wants to return to solder pads where it belongs. The soldermask on the PCB repels solder.

If you have an excess on there, you can wick it away with copper braid, but it should separate and go back to where it belongs if you reflow it. A lot of PCBs are made in this way where all the solder is melted at the same time, and it generally behaves quite well.

That being said, the pins on that connection are very small so you're going to need a tiny solder tip. I guess you could use the hot air, but again you're going to need a tiny point of hot air so you don't damage nearby components.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Camble wrote:
joe7dust wrote:
Camble wrote:

Because liquid solder has surface tension, it naturally wants to return to solder pads where it belongs. The soldermask on the PCB repels solder.

If you have an excess on there, you can wick it away with copper braid, but it should separate and go back to where it belongs if you reflow it. A lot of PCBs are made in this way where all the solder is melted at the same time, and it generally behaves quite well.

That being said, the pins on that connection are very small so you're going to need a tiny solder tip. I guess you could use the hot air, but again you're going to need a tiny point of hot air so you don't damage nearby components.
There shouldn't be any excess but I do have copper wick. I was working in a completely different area and think a jet of hot air may hit in while using my butane iron in tip mode (it has vent holes). It's also possible it came like this and I never noticed, I've asked the supplier about it.

TheNotorious

Post by TheNotorious » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:56 am

Hey sidsilver,

i got myself the same display as you got. Could i ask you how you connected it to your pi?
And what is the best procedure to test the display

Thanks in advance

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 am

TheNotorious wrote:Hey sidsilver,

i got myself the same display as you got. Could i ask you how you connected it to your pi?

Thanks in advance
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9165#p9165

TheNotorious

Post by TheNotorious » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:57 am

o sorry guys i didnt search as it seemed.
Thanks Fleder!

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 am

TheNotorious wrote:Hey sidsilver,

Thanks in advance
What I've done:
- red and black are soldered to my power supply (see graceful shutdown)
- yellow is wired to the square TV pin of the Pi
- white is cut but you can also pin it to the round TV pin of the Pi (which is a ground pin)

I'll add some pictures soon, as I've made some progress