Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
User avatar
Billy Blaze
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:27 pm
Location: Gnosticus IV
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Billy Blaze » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Sw0rd wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm
SpoilerShow
[...] Here's the start of my "GBZ Woody" project :) First test cut of the front shell in a scrap piece of walnut, a double sided CNC operation. The outside turned out pretty good, but the inside will need some modifications. Probably have to enlarge some of the stand offs and button guides and maybe make the outer wall a little thicker. In the end, I'll be using a more dense piece of wood. Possibly some purpleheart or jatoba, etc.

This is my first venture into a GBZ and I'm not quite sure what else I will need here or if I could maybe 3d print an insert instead of machining the inside parts. Just getting a start and learning/figuring it out as I go.
that looks fabulous!
I would be very much interested in a complete shell too. in case you decide manufacturing this outstanding wooden shell I'd be very happy to purchase one of these. anyways, looking forward to further updates!

H.Hudson
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:32 pm
Location: portland oregon, USA
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by H.Hudson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Man, I wish i had found this model sooner. Amazing work. i've been working on my own giant version lately. planning on making a fully functional GBZ that's around 6"x9" roughly. I redesigned the battery compartment to hold 3.6V 2600 mah LI batteries for super long life. again, nice work! p.s. love the wood too.Image
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.53.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.53.58 PM.png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 3528 times
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.54.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.54.09 PM.png (2.71 MiB) Viewed 3528 times
9f1908f5-6e6f-488e-ab84-da176c13db16.PNG
9f1908f5-6e6f-488e-ab84-da176c13db16.PNG (192.72 KiB) Viewed 3528 times

User avatar
neolith
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:43 pm
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by neolith » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:24 am

Haha – that's a cool idea! :)
Good luck with your model!
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Razgriz_410
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:40 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Razgriz_410 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks for the file, it's awesome, that's what brought me to this forum!
I'll give it a try since I have a friend with a 3D printer, but later on, I hope I'll be able to do a case out of something rarer/cooler, like with wood and/or brass parts. If I ever manage to do it, I'll make sure to post the results!

retro_jeff
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by retro_jeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am

@neolith - Came across this page on boxypixel.com. Looks like a modified version of your CAD:

https://www.boxypixel.com/collections/g ... inum-shell

User avatar
neolith
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:43 pm
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by neolith » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am

retro_jeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am
@neolith - Came across this page on boxypixel.com. Looks like a modified version of your CAD:

https://www.boxypixel.com/collections/g ... inum-shell
Yeah, I came across that one, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am not entirely happy seeing someone actually selling cases based upon the model as this was supposed to be a community thing for people that want to work on a case themselves. But I'm not sure if there is something I can do about it now, I'm afraid. First of all the design isn't mine in the first place, it is a copy of Nintendo's. And second, I didn't put any license on it. The next time I am putting something online it'll be under a CC license or something similar.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

User avatar
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer
Posts: 2815
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am
Location: Rogers, AR
Has thanked: 1424 times
Been thanked: 3082 times

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Helder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 am

neolith wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am

Yeah, I came across that one, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am not entirely happy seeing someone actually selling cases based upon the model as this was supposed to be a community thing for people that want to work on a case themselves. But I'm not sure if there is something I can do about it now, I'm afraid. First of all the design isn't mine in the first place, it is a copy of Nintendo's. And second, I didn't put any license on it. The next time I am putting something online it'll be under a CC license or something similar.
Unfortunately this is always the end result of putting anything online with or without a license which is often ignored. Would be nice a mention or at least ask permission to use it. It's not your own model as you said but you did the work to model it and shared it which many people would not.
My Sale Threads:

Retro PSU, 3.5A output!


Chat with me and other members


Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). Don't contact me about any of my boards if they are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them.


Don't support thieves like ckliang who copied my AIO to resell and is now cloning the mintyPi, support the original creators and not the thieves!

boxypixel
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:37 am
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by boxypixel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 pm

neolith wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am
retro_jeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am
@neolith - Came across this page on boxypixel.com. Looks like a modified version of your CAD:

https://www.boxypixel.com/collections/g ... inum-shell
Yeah, I came across that one, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am not entirely happy seeing someone actually selling cases based upon the model as this was supposed to be a community thing for people that want to work on a case themselves. But I'm not sure if there is something I can do about it now, I'm afraid. First of all the design isn't mine in the first place, it is a copy of Nintendo's. And second, I didn't put any license on it. The next time I am putting something online it'll be under a CC license or something similar.
Just to clear this up. I absolutely did NOT use anyone's model to create my CAD. I'm a design engineer, and have made every single model from scratch in Solidworks.

User avatar
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer
Posts: 2815
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am
Location: Rogers, AR
Has thanked: 1424 times
Been thanked: 3082 times

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm

boxypixel wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 pm
neolith wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am
retro_jeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am
@neolith - Came across this page on boxypixel.com. Looks like a modified version of your CAD:

https://www.boxypixel.com/collections/g ... inum-shell
Yeah, I came across that one, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am not entirely happy seeing someone actually selling cases based upon the model as this was supposed to be a community thing for people that want to work on a case themselves. But I'm not sure if there is something I can do about it now, I'm afraid. First of all the design isn't mine in the first place, it is a copy of Nintendo's. And second, I didn't put any license on it. The next time I am putting something online it'll be under a CC license or something similar.
Just to clear this up. I absolutely did NOT use anyone's model to create my CAD. I'm a design engineer, and have made every single model from scratch in Solidworks.
Thanks for clarifying that for us.
My Sale Threads:

Retro PSU, 3.5A output!


Chat with me and other members


Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). Don't contact me about any of my boards if they are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them.


Don't support thieves like ckliang who copied my AIO to resell and is now cloning the mintyPi, support the original creators and not the thieves!

ZoyaDibirova
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by ZoyaDibirova » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 am

I think most people use a glue called e6000, i was too impatient to wait for some to come and used super glue from the pound shop... seems to have worked alright though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest