Game Boy Zero folks: do your GBZ's actually work on SNES?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
rodocop

Re: Game Boy Zero folks: do your GBZ's actually work on SNES?

Post by rodocop » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Never had an issue with any SNES games I like to play.

I think there are some that struggle though. Some that come to mind are Yoshi's Island, starfox.

In general the vast majority of SNES games are totally fine.

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm

From my experience, GBA and SNES are essentially the limit of what the Pi Zero can handle. For the GBA, the lr-mgba emulator tends to stutter, but I've had good gameplay experiences using the lr-gpsp emulator. For SNES I think I've always used the default (lr-snes9x I think) and can't recall any problems with that. For Genesis, I use the lr-picodrive emulator.

I do notice that within the first minute or so of starting a game, it often slows down and the screen gets choppy for few seconds, which I've always coughed up to the Pi Zero doing background stuff (and it's single-core so it affects the whole system). That even affects low-end emulators, like the Atari 2600. Once that clears up it's usually good to go though.

You can also overclock it a bit and disable WiFi to squeeze a little more performance out of it. I usually don't bother but feel free to give it a shot.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:51 am

The current Retroarch emulators for SNES have really put a damper on my Pi Zero emulation enthusiasm.

I see really, really bad slowdown in games like Zelda:LTTP (especially when there's fog/shadows, like in the Lost Woods), Castlevania: Dracula X (first level when there's fire in the background), Chrono Trigger (pretty much everywhere, but especially the 2nd overworld map with the fog), and Final Fantasy 6-JP/3-US (title screen has really choppy sound).

If you can get your hands on an image of RetroPie from *just after* the Pi Zero W got support, it's actually not too bad.
Image Image

shesaysidontlisten

Post by shesaysidontlisten » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Is this a comment on the Zero specifically or do you guys experience slowness/stuttering with the 3 as well?